The Christie Action List

How to Deal with Pesticide Abuse

Protecting your health from pesticide abuse is a political issue, as science is not yet adequate to answer all the questions involved. You can make a difference by taking action and advising the appropriate government department of any incidents of pesticide abuse where your health is being put at risk.

Depending on the situation there are a number of 'channels' at your disposal. In general you can always go to your local MP, MPP or councillor as appropriate. Keep them informed and ask for their help when needed. You can always address your concerns directly to the source, either on the spot and/or later in writing. You can channel your concerns through through media friendly contacts where appropriate. Letters to the Editor or consumer advocate lines can be very effective.

If you see something and intend to file a more formal report you need to be able to document the facts to support your claim. Having a video camera at your disposal to record the incident in question is a good way to build your case file. Record the information from the front and back of the pesticide notification sign. Go to Environment Canada's Climate Source website and print off the '24 Hour Retrospective' to obtain the official temperature and wind speed readings from the nearest Environment Canada weather station.

Below are some of the channels that you can use. You'll need to adapt the list to suit your community.

Pesticide Legislation
Laws passed by governments are called "Acts" or "Statutes", or legislation. A Statute sets up a framework to control activities. Regulations provide the detailed rules for the framework. Regulations are developed by the bureaucracy and passed by order in Council (the Cabinet). Laws passed by municipalities are called 'by-laws'

Mike Christie